Local Serving Opportunities
Saturday, November 4 we have two opportunities to serve those in Broward County who struggle with hunger. A team from Community will be serving at the main warehouse for Feeding South Florida in Pembroke Park from 1:30 – 4:30 PM. A second team will be serving a meal for the homeless at Broward Outreach Center from 3:00 – 6:00 PM. If you are interested in joining either of these teams, please email Outreach Pastor Dan Reischel at email@example.com. Deadline to sign up is Sunday, October 29.
Each year, hundreds from the Community family serve as part of our churchwide serving initiatives – Community Impact! We have a number of ongoing groups that serve on a regular monthly basis, but perhaps you’re looking for other ways of loving and serving others as part of a “Love Does” lifestyle on an ongoing basis.
Here are some ideas on how you and your family can love and serve others as part of a “Love Does” lifestyle:
- Have a Garage Sale or sell something you no longer need and give proceeds to an organization that serves the poor or homeless, and then volunteer there.
- Meal Cloning: Plan out a dinner menu, buy double of everything, and place the extra in a box. Take it to a family that would be blessed by the meal.
- Clean out closets and donate your extra clothes to a relief agency.
- Invite an elderly person who doesn’t drive to visit friends or run errands.
- Purchase pizzas and deliver them to your child’s school for the Teachers’ Lounge.
- Take your newspaper or a favorite book to a nursing home and find someone who would enjoy having you read it to them.
- Clean the house/mow the grass/wash the car of a friend or neighbor.
- Write thank you cards and deliver them with cookies to police officers, firefighters, etc.
- Go out to eat and leave a huge tip.
- Babysit and/or pay for a dinner or movie out for a young couple.
- Buy snacks (chips, cookies, candy) and deliver them to people in a hospital waiting room.
- Buy some flowers and deliver them to people in nursing homes.
- “Pay it forward” – pay for the gas/groceries/take-out of a person in line behind you.
- Pay for washers/dryers at a local laundromat.
- Take a game (checkers, dominos, etc.) to a nursing home and play games with some of the residents.
- Make a sack lunch and deliver it to someone who is homeless.
- Babysit for a single parent so he/she can run errands, go shopping or just enjoy some free time.
- Cook for your neighbors. Provide and prepare all the food and invite your neighbors over for dinner.
- During Christmas season — Secret Santa: Put together a gift box for an elderly person. Go to a nursing home and find a resident that doesn’t have family visiting them and give them the gift box you prepared.
- Give a Gift Card providing lunch for a week to a co-worker or college student.
- Buy a Gift Card from a local store (Walmart, Target, etc.) and give to a family with children at home.
- Extra plate for dinner: Invite someone who has no family nearby to your home for dinner or out to lunch.
- Research different relief organizations and get involved by helping a child or family in another country.